Wednesday, September 6, 2017

CBD and Inflammation

Recently I had surgery on my left leg. When the orthopaedic surgeon was done putting my leg back together, I had a titanium plate holding my fibula so it would heal faster. The swelling was very bad from my knee to my foot. The pain was unbearable as you could imagine. Naturally I had to take some kind of painkillers to make my situation more comfortable. Hydro Morphine is what was prescribed even though I get very bad side effects for opiates. At the time I did not care about the side effects that opiates give me as I needed the pain to go away. To give you an idea of how bad my leg was swollen and how much pain I was in, I could not sit on a chair, because of the constant throbbing pain. Even with morphine I had to lay down most of the day with my leg up to reduce the swelling. After a few weeks the doctor told me that I cannot take any more morphine. What was even worse is that I could not take any anti-inflammatory drugs because that slows down bone growth.

Fortunately there are alternatives to taking anti-inflammatory drugs and painkillers for someone in my situation. CBD is an anti-inflammatory and pain killer in one. For the first time I tried a high CBD, low THC Cannabis. As soon as I got my order I tried it out in my vaporizer. Within a few minutes the throbbing in my leg stopped. It felt as through the pressure in my leg was gone, like popping a balloon. CBD Cannabis doesn't make you high however, it will make you feel relaxed and maybe a tad sleepy. The CBD Cannabis worked so well in fact I purchased a stronger product that did the job even better. 

In general traditional painkillers like opiates, cocaine and asprin makes the nerves numb that are causing the pain. Actually your whole body is numb because the painkiller cannot target the problem area. This systemic effect is what gives you that dopey feeling. CBD is not a painkiller in the traditional sense. CBD helps treat the problem instead of masking the pain.

The key to CBD's painkilling properties is in the human Endocannabinoid system (EC). This system is responsible for all of our body functions, from breathing, heart rate, pain, swelling and your immune systems response. Endocannabinoids are produced by your body. Cannabinoids are the active substances in Cannabis and CBD being one of them. CBD suppresses the enzyme acid amide hydrolase which breaks down Anandamide. This naturally occurring Endocannabinoid  Anandamide activates the CB1 and CB2 receptors and allows your body to deal with pain and injury. Said a different way, CBD tricks your brain into dialing down your response to pain and inflammation. In the case of my swollen leg, CBD reduced the inflammation which in turn stopped the pain.

By consuming CBD you are giving your body the natural ability to take care of injury, pain swelling, cancer and a whole lot more. 
There is so much more to Cannabis then THC vs CBD, the type of terpenes are as important.

Recently I have been using Cannabis with a relative 1 to 1 ratio of THC to CBD to deal with fibromyalgia related muscle spasms. I have very debilitating muscle spasms at times. I thank my lucky stars I am not like this 24/7, like some folks are. I used Spectrum Cannabis Green (Tweed) I got some instant relief right away but the pain didn't go away. It took about 5 decent sized joints before I was feeling 85% better. After smoking for 3 days (not 24/7 LOL) the worst muscle spasm I have ever had was almost gone. Remember with recreational Cannabis you still need some CBD to have a good time, the same is true for CBD Cannabis, you still need a small amount of THC for medical use. You can use any variation of CBD vs THC and long as both components are present. 

CBD is the new morphine.  ☺

2 comments:

  1. We are top producer of Swiss legal cannabis products. Our company is specialized in the production of cannabis plants that are rich in CBD strains.
    wholesale cbd flower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am entirely agreed with this article, and I just want say that this article is very helpful and enlightening. I also have some precious piece of concerned info !!!!!!Thanks. cbd flowers

    ReplyDelete